Pages

Saturday 18 February 2012

Prop Design Task

Prop Design Task


Ok so for this week’s lesson we have been asked to draw a prop of our choice, which could be absolutely anything! From the Viking and Jailor coming in Tuesday I have had a lot of influence to do something based around Vikings.


I also decided to look at multiple different takes on prop concept art scouring the net for different props and going through some of my old history books to see what type of objects the artist had painted into the background so that I could pull that from the artwork and recreate my own style on that prop.


I also looked at human modifications such as gauntlets with claws added onto them and lot's of different weapons and items scattered around paintings. I then decided to start looking into more decorational props which you would find around the house, and then take these and develop some different concepts from these items.


After much deliberation I started to go into more depth into Vikings and look at there mode of transport.






Viking Research

Law that every man had a Helmet and Spear at there ready. The ancient Vikings navigated by depending on the instincts of birds. They took on board several ravens, releasing them one at a time as they sailed westward. If the raven flew back along the course from which it had come, the Viking ships continued due west. But when a raven flew a different way, the ships would change course, following its flight path in search of new lands. In a single raid on Britain around the year 1000, the Vikings used a fleet of eighty "dragon ships", each carrying 100 soldiers.

From this research I then started looking into how Vikings travelled across the sea's and came across there dragon ships. I instantly fell in love with the designs of the ship and continued to gather some more reference image and thought out how I could make this work as my prop.

No comments:

Post a Comment